Bulk Bags and FIBC’s available from the UK’s leading packaging supplier
We provide our customers with expert advice on all styles, designs and options of bulk bags.
With over 20 years experience our website is packed full of useful information to assist you in determining the right bag for your product.
If you need something more bespoke or custom made our expert and friendly team are here to help.
Please call or email and we’ll provide you with the most economical and cost effective solution for transporting your bulk products.
Things to consider when looking to use bulk bags:
They can be manufactured to many different designs and specifications to adhere with the filling, storage, transport and discharge of your products.
Critical factors to consider when deciding on the right bulk packaging for your product are:
- The weight and volume of product that you wish to carry.
- The type of filling and discharging mechanism required for the product being carried.
- The environment in which the product is being filled or discharged, particularly if there is a risk of electrostatic discharge.
- How will the material flow?
- Will the bulk bag be filled several times?
- How is the bag to be lifted?
- Does the bulk bag need to be produced from a coated fabric to prevent product seepage or water ingress through the fabric?
- Does the bag require sift proofing to prevent product seepage through the seams?
- Is the product being carried classified as a dangerous or hazardous material?
- Is the product being carried a food stuff?
What is a bulk bag and how is it made?
Here’s a practical guide to the different types of bags available, how they are constructed and helpful information when deciding which is the best one for you.
The name bulk bag refers to an FIBC or flexible intermediate bulk container and they are an ideal way to transport, store dry free flowing materials safely and securely in a very cost effective way.
How much weight can a bulk bag carry?
Bulk bags can be certified to carry product weighing anything from 50kg up to 2000kg, the heavier the product being carried the heavier the grade of fabric required to manufacture the bag to conform to the safe working load. A bag can carry up to 1000 times its own weight.
The bulk bags are predominantly made from PP (polypropylene) a high strength thermoplastic that is very strong yet flexible.
The PP is extruded in tubular form which is then sliced into threads which are woven together (warp and weft) to form a very strong and durable fabric.
From this fabric, the body of the bulk bag is produced
The bag fabrics are produced in different thicknesses depending on the weight the bag is required to safely carry. A fabric required to carry a weight of 2000kg will be heavier and stronger than a fabric required to carry 500kg. Fabric weights are measured in grams per square meter of fabric and typically body fabric for the bag’s will range from 130gsm up to 250gsm.